Northern County Regional Meeting a Success!

September 26, 2013

Program managers and staff from Apache, Coconino, La Paz, Mohave, Navajo and Yavapai met in Flagstaff on Monday September 23rd at the Northern County regional meeting. The was the first meeting in six years. The meeting kicked off with a presentation by Jason Marsee, brother of Sean Marsee who died of oral cancer complications at age 18 in 1982. There was also a memorial presentation for longtime anti-smoking advocate and Tucson native David Briick  who passed away this June.

Read the rest of this entry »


Public Health Groups Back Obama’s 94-cent Cigarette Tax Hike

September 26, 2013

By Ben Goad – 09/25/13

President Obama’s plan to raise the federal cigarette tax by 94 cents a pack would put 2 million low and middle-income kids through preschool, a new report has concluded.

Obama’s fiscal 2014 budget proposal calls for a near doubling of the tax, from $1.01 to $1.95 per pack, with the proceeds going toward an expansion of early childhood education. Taxes on other tobacco products would increase proportionally, bringing the estimated additional revenue to an estimated $78 billion over the next decade.

“Taken together, these two measures would help ensure a future of smart, healthy kids nationwide and in every state,” according to the report, released Wednesday by a coalition of nine public health and legal groups.

Read the rest of this entry »


South Yuma County Youth Seek Smoking Ban in San Luis, AZ Parks

September 26, 2013

mrhus4-mrhujpsmokeban

SAN LUIS, Ariz. – If a youth group has its way, people who smoke in this city’s parks will face fines as stiff as those they’d pay if they got caught littering.

The South Yuma County Youth Anti-Tobacco Coalition is set to appear before the San Luis City Council later this month with a request for adoption of an ordinance banning smoking not only in the parks but in all city-owned athletic fields.

And in efforts to bolster their case, the youths plan to present the council with the results of an informal survey of residents’ views about a ban on smoking at the city facilities. Of more than 400 people polled, coalition members say, nearly 80 percent favored the restriction.

Read the rest of this entry »


Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne on Fox Business urging federal regulators to keep minors from buying e-cigarettes.

September 26, 2013

Capture


BTCD Announces 2013 Most Valuable Partner Awards

September 24, 2013

At it’s Fall Partner Meeting the Bureau of Tobacco and Chronic Disease bestowed its annual Most Valuable Awards on those county programs who showed outstanding work in one of the 7 program areas of the Bureau.

The awards were broken into Awards of Excellence, Awards of Achievement and Awards of Merit. The winners were:

Read the rest of this entry »


Boy, 3, burned by exploding e-cigarette

September 24, 2013

Explosion set child’s car seat on fire, caused first- and second-degree burns

Child-burned-e-cigarette-explodes-jpg

Mount Pleasant, Utah (KSTU) — A mother claims an exploding e-cigarette set her son’s car seat on fire, causing first- and second-degree burns to the 3-year-old’s body.

“Seeing your child on fire and hearing them scream ‘Help me!’ is pretty terrifying,” Kinzie Barlow told Salt Lake City TV station KSTU.

Barlow was driving in Provo with her son, Khonor, on Friday when she noticed a strange smell.

“Then there was a big bang, and kind of a flash, and there’s smoke everywhere,” she said.

Barlow said her e-cigarette had exploded in its charger, shooting out a white-hot copper coil that bounced off the ceiling and landed in her son’s car seat. She says the coil had burned through the fabric cover and melted the hard plastic, sending flames shooting up the little boy’s body.

“He was screaming and saying, ‘Mom, get me! Get me!,” Barlow told KSTU.

She tried smothering the fire with her shirt sleeve, but that also caught fire, so she grabbed an iced coffee from the front seat and poured it on Khonor, dousing the flames.

Provo Fire Marshal Lynn Schofield said he has no doubt Barlow’s White Rhino e-cigarette exploded, saying it’s the second such incident in Provo.

He planned to call the Consumer Product Safety Commission on Monday.

As for Barlow, she told KSTU she will never buy another e-cigarette again.

Read more: http://www.koat.com/boy-burned-by-exploding-ecigarette/-/9154444/22076692/-/w77561/-/index.html#ixzz2fuXs7poq


BTCD Chief Wayne Tormala to be a Guest on SOUTHWEST PROSTATE CANCER FOUNDATION’S RADIO SHOW

September 24, 2013

Wayne Tormala, Bureau Chief for the Bureau of Tobacco and Chronic and Disease will join a panel Thursday, September 26th,  discussing Prostate Cancer Awareness as a part of Prostate Cancer Awareness Month (September. Tune in on KXXT 1010 AM at 10am or listen online at www.familyvaluesradio.net

Click Here for the Program Announcement

Click Here to learn about a Prostate Cancer Screening Event in Glendale on Saturday September, 28th